Integrating Nature with the Built Environment
Working closely with a 15-person steering committee, Farnsworth Group has developed a comprehensive site and building master plan for the clubhouse and recreation area of Apple Canyon Lake, a recreation community located near historic Galena, IL.
The master plan outlines recommendations for both building and site improvements which harmoniously integrate with the dramatic natural features of the site.
Highlights of the master plan include the following:
- Redesign of the existing clubhouse with an updated ‘rustic’ design
- Addition of a 15,000 SF events center
- Replacing the existing observation tower with a new tower / tree house at the water’s edge
- Incorporation of a lakeside outdoor wedding venue
- Inclusion of a memorial pavilion adjacent to a new proposed children’s nature based playground
- Redesign of existing parking lots to enhance the arrival experience
- Revegetating shoreline slopes with native prairie plantings
- Expansion of existing Lester Johnson Memorial Trail