Multiple Storm Shelter Reviews for Dallas District
UNDER A CONTRACT FARNSWORTH GROUP HOLDS WITH DALLAS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT (DISD), WE HAVE COMPLETED ICC 500 INDEPENDENT THIRD-PARTY PEER REVIEWS FOR 14 STORM SHELTERS.
Farnsworth Group served as ICC 500 independent third-party peer reviewers for 14 DISD school projects. These projects vary in design scope from new construction and additions to existing campuses. Our review teams of design experts are comprised of certified professional engineers and architects.
As part of our service, we specifically reviewed:
- Strength and allowable stress design for structural members and appurtenances
- Rain, wind and live loads
- Wind-borne debris impact resistance and protection
- Calculations showing all relevant gravity systems, lateral systems, connections and foundation design calculations, which show complete load path
- Associated loads and reaction to any delegated design proposed by the designer of record
We also verified:
- Occupant density
- Usable storm shelter floor area
- Number of doors, including direction(s) of swing
- Emergency escape opening, including location and operation
- Door operation, including latching mechanisms
- Accessible route(s) to the shelter space
- Signage requirements
- Specifications regarding quality assurance and/or special inspections
- Adequate provisions for fire safety, including barriers, fire extinguishers and first aid inclusion
Critical support systems, including ventilation, sanitation and emergency lighting are also verified for compliance.
Our projects for DISD included 10 high schools, three elementary schools and one middle school. Our team continues to provide a variety of services under an on-call contract.